Last week we were battling Whitney's constipation. She is predisposed to this as we are still unsure as to her control over her bladder and bowels and were prescribed a laxative. (Her skin is doing much better, by the way.) Sunday afternoon Matt and Fiona left for up north. Matt had to work up there this week and we thought Fiona would enjoy a few days with her grandparents. Little did we know Whitney would begin vomiting on Sunday night. She became fussy and lethargic as well. These are 3 of the signs for shunt failure so Whitney and I headed to the ER. Thankfully Fiona was all set and in great hands. That is the beginning of God's providence shown to us.
We were registering at the front desk of the ER and Whitney promptly vomited again, which was perfect timing. We were able to bypass the waiting room and triage and head right in. We began many tests. The stress level was pretty high at this point as we were not sure what we were dealing with. This is also when Whitney's bowels decided to move. I will spare you the details and just tell you that the smell was bad enough for them to shut the door because people passing our room were asking what that smell was. I also had to apologize to each doctor and nurse who came in. Through this I was distracted with trying to keep the cast clean, Whitney content, and Matt updated via text message.
I was notified that Whitney had a urinary tract infection and they were going to consult the neurosurgeon as well. They admitted us around 2 a.m. Monday morning, after 6 hours in the ER. Needless to say Whitney and I did not sleep very much and she just wanted to snuggle. We continued to snuggle for a couple days. (: Tests continued and we also were able to complete the CT scan without anaesthesia. Through this we learned that the shunt was operating wonderfully! We are so thankful that we did not have to undergo another surgery.
Time went very slow as Whitney and I had a lot of 1 on 1 time together. I did not have too much energy to update people so our visitors were few and far between. Thankfully breastfeeding moms are given meals and the staff was wonderful with keeping me stocked with many forms of caffeine. I did not leave her side and we continued to snuggle.
Many antibiotics, observation, and tests later we were given the option to go home. They still were not sure which antibiotic they wanted to use for her but they were willing to work with our pediatrician. So, Tuesday early afternoon we headed out of the hospital. Two women from church were there to help me discharge and out to the van. I am so thankful that God is in charge of the many details.
We did not go directly home. First, we needed to stop and get Whitney's cast expanded as she was growing out of it. Secondly, we headed to the pediatrician to receive and 12 hour antibiotic shot to tide her over until we knew what they wanted to prescribe for her. THEN we headed home. This is when time began again. I opened the door and everything was just as I had left it.
We are now beginning our normal routine all in perfect timing as Fiona is coming back this evening. What a week.