July 7, 2008
We had our second opinion to discuss Whitney's hip on Thursday and Matt was able to join us. The visit went well as we peppered the poor lady with questions. We also had another x-ray taken as she was unable to feel the hip correctly and that was helpful to see where it is currently. We are in a crucial time frame as her hips have not yet fully developed. Her right hip is on the right on course of development however her left hip is not. They hope for a 20 some degree for each hip socket. Her right is 17 which is good and her left is somewhere in the 40's. It is also very important that she is as balanced as possible as we look to the future. We are still having conversations about this surgery. The tentative surgery date is set for August 15th. We are leaning towards doing it but have not made the final decision as of yet. They would be severing a tendon in hopes the body would 'repair' itself and the growth plate would continue to grow with the hip in place. She would have a hip brace for the extended future as long as it seems to be working. If it does not work then there would be no reason for the brace. We would not need a cast and for this we are thankful. Please pray with us as we continue to make decisions on Whitney's behalf.